Friday 21 November 2008

Make it so


Last night the cast of The Wizard of Oz switched on the Christmas Lights in the Lanes, and while I think it's great that the Theatre Royal has decided not to do a panto this year and has instead decided to do the classic musical I have to admit I am more excited about their Spring programme.

I am particularly looking forward to seeing Waiting for Godot starring Sir Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart (oh for the less geeky of you who are wondering about the title of this post 'Make it so' was Patrick Stewart's catchphrase in Star Trek: The Next Generation). It should be a fantastic night out as I don't really see what could go wrong when you have two fantastic actors in a classic play, although I might get distracted imagining them doing the whole show dressed as Magneto and Prof Xavier from X Men!

However that is not the only thing we have to look forward to as other highlights include classic musicals Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, HMS Pinafore and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. If you are not a musicals fan then don't worry you could go and see the timeless love story Brief Encounter or Gethsemane starring the Olivier award winning Tamsin Grieg who telly fans will know from Black Books and Green Wing. There are laughs aplenty in Totally Looped (Mock the Week meets YouTube!) and Boeing Boeing plus stand-up comedy nights with Ed Byrne and Stephen K Amos. You can also see Richard E Grant in God of Carnage and Edward Fox and Claire Bloom will be starring in Lloyd George Knew My Father.

And of all that wasn't enough the programme also includes Spongebob Sqaurepants in The Sponge who could fly. All together now - Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? ...
Ok then I think I'd better sign off now before I embarrass myself any further

Charlotte

No comments: