Thursday 25 October 2007

Miss Sandra Bernhard


Well - I've wanted to see one of her shows for ever and she was great - but only thing was she was on in Worthing! She seemed as confused as the audience and it seemed it was all down to the wisdom of the promoters. Poor old Worthing! Still, half of Brighton had made the trip but it seems the UK audience are not quite up to the participation of our Stateside cousins, who apparently heckle witticisms and dance and sing and get - well, VERY involved. We of course all sat there with our arms folded and chuckled and when we got particularly enthused tapped our feet along to Sandra's band. I love the Brits!

Think Sandra was a bit miffed though - at one point she told us what she had just said was hysterical and that we weren't getting with the programme and why didn't we all continue to just relax and go and have fun AFTER the show! Ouch...

Anyway, I thought she was great - funny, bizarre, irreverent, off the wall, not scared to speak her mind politically and all in all very unique. It would have been better in Brighton in a cabaret type format but, hey, its not every day you get to see Miss Bernhard do a rendition of Little Red Corvette...

Funnily enough she waxed lyrical about her hatred of blogs, which upset me a bit - in my small deluded world I imagined Sandra would agree with me about EVERYTHING - but she said she wanted to see who was speaking to her and said she couldn't imagine Liza Minnelli getting up of a morning and blogging before piling on her make up with a couple of G and Ts. Well, OK, fair enough but some of us are less blessed with uber stardom and I find the odd blog post rather cathartic...

Well, back to reality - Sandra didn't ask me to go for a post show curry or even a drink, so its back to work for me...Come to Brighton next time Miss Bernhard.

Did anyone else go? What did you think?

And thanks to the lady at Worthing Pavilion box office who gave me my 15 mins of fame. I'm called Sarah and when she gave me my ticket she got all confused and said 'There you go Sarah Bernhard...no, you're Sarah and Sandra Bernhard is performing...oh never mind...

No comments: