Friday 30 August 2013

Editors at Brighton Dome


Before I start this post I feel it is important to point out that I am a big fan of Editors (please note they are called Editors, not The Editors). So as you can imagine I was thrilled to see that they would be coming back to Brighton, and even more delighted to see that they would be returning to the Dome.

I've seen the band three times so far, twice in London and once at Brighton Dome. You may think I'm biased but I guess I'll just have to ask you to take my word for it when I say that the Brighton gig was defintely the best. Of course the band were still brilliant but because the London venues were larger - Alexandra Palace and Hyde Park - I didn't get so caught up in the atmosphere. One of the main things I love about seeing concerts at the Dome is the size of the venue - it's big enough for you not to feel like you are sitting on top of the act but it's also intimate enough for you to soak up the atmosphere & actually see the band rather then squinting at them from miles away. Another advantage is the fact that there is a balcony so you can still get seated tickets. Yes I'm not ashamed to admit it, I like to sit down! That way you can see the band without craning around the giant stood in front of you, people respect your personal space more in the seated area and there is the added pleasure of watching the often interesting & educational dance moves of the people in the standing area.

Brighton Dome Concert Hall. Photo credit: Jim Stephenson
Please note for gigs, such as Editors, the stalls seats are removed.

Another plus point for the Brighton Dome is the building itself. I love the art deco style of the concert hall, but importantly the hall is curved which I think helps to explain the excellent acoustics. So even if you're sat in the balcony, the sound is just as good as it is for those next to the stage.

So all in all I'm very excited. Although don't do like me and wait until your favourite band happens to be playing at the Dome before going there. Check out their programme and book something up now. It's not just music as in September and October they will be hosting some of the events from the Brighton Digital & Comedy Festivals respectively. They also have a host of Christmas shows from the Gay Men's Chorus to the Ceilidh and the Nutcracker. And if you're still not sure then why not try one of their free events?

But to get back to Editors I do have another Brighton link aside from the fact I'm going to see them in November. The video for their next single 'Formaldehyde' has been directed by the Brighton-based director, and patron of the Cine-City Festival, Ben Wheatley. Enjoy... 
Oh and just in case anyway from Editors is reading this can I put in a request for 'Hyena' and 'Eat Raw Meat=Blood Drool' at the Brighton Dome concert please? Thank you :)

Charlotte

No comments: