Friday 28 January 2011

Getting ready for the Brighton Marathon


The Brighton Marathon was a huge success last year and will be returning this year on Sunday 10th April. Andrew Mosley, General Manager of The Grand Hotel will be taking part this year and will be doing regular guest spots to let us know how his training is going. So here is the first instalment...

Like the 15,000 other Brighton Marathon entrants I’m now just 11 weeks away from my 1st ever attempt at a race that many consider to be one of life’s great challenges. This is my story so far and each fortnight I’ll be updating you on my progress on how I intend to reach my goal on April 10th.

I kind of “fell into” running the Brighton Marathon having moved to The Grand and having agreed to sponsor the mini mile kids races I then decided to “lead from the front” (metaphorically speaking rather than physically!) and enter myself. I then roped in a few local business colleagues (including 3 managers from The Grand) and before I knew it we had a team of 10. I was self appointed captain and there was no turning back.

After a difficult start to the training in the last couple of weeks I completed my first 13 mile training run in a time of 1 hr 56 minutes (believe me every last second is important). If nothing else so far I’ve become fitter, healthier, thinner (1 stone lost!) but most importantly quite inspired by my own achievements. Proud even.

Although while the last 7 days have provided me with an opportunity to be truly inspired, truth be told I’ve actually lost a bit of focus and fallen off the training which I am quite cross with myself about but will sort out I promise!

My inspiration came from 2 people. Last Tuesday I had the privilege of launching the Mini Mile at a local school with none other than Sally Gunnell. The school also got 50 fantastic and enthusiastic kids to attend and support and you might have seen the pictures in the press.

Then on Friday and again the following Monday I had the pleasure of meeting Dame Kelly Holmes, first of all at The Grand and then at a dinner in London (by the way there’s a first clue there as to why I’ve fallen off the training a bit!!) Kelly is equally inspirational as Sally – and both are wonderful ambassadors for “my sport” of running.

So how come I’ve lost my way a bit? Well the dinner in London was part of an annual General Managers conference that I attended. A marathon in itself but unfortunately of the eating and drinking kind!

So this week’s aim is to get back to it. I’ll be out with all the other marathon trainees. It’s noticeable how many more people are running. Perhaps a combination of new years resolutions and marathon count down.

Finally I received an amazing £500 one off donation to my charity (The Variety Club) this week from a very good friend of mine. You know who you are so thank you again

The next 11 weeks will be very challenging but the thought of getting across the line (in more ways than one) on April 10th is a fabulous incentive. You can follow my updates here until just after the race and you can help a great cause by donating on our Just Giving Page.

Regards

Andrew

No comments: