Monday 5 November 2012

Cinecity 10th Brighton Film Festival


Seeing as I'm a fan of films and the Duke of York's Picturehouse you would think that I would be a regular at  the Cinecity Film Festival, however as I picked up this year's brochure I realised that I've never really made the most of the event. Coupled with the fact that the Duke of York's have put in some new seats which I haven't tried out yet I decided that it was time to start booking...

As I started to read through the guide there were several films jumping out at me and I was very tempted by the special 10th anniversary 10 ticket deal. The first one that caught my eye was the opening night film, which is Martin McDonagh's Seven Psychopaths. The film is his follow-up to In Bruges and as I loved the quirky black comedy I was already interested but when I saw that the cast includes Colin Farrell, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken I had to go! As this is the opening night film tickets are selling out quickly but if you do miss the showing on the 15th, the Duke of York's will be showing it in December so you'll still have a chance to catch it.


Of course the festival isn't all about the Duke of York's and I think one of the highlight's of this year's festival will be a special screening of Barry Lyndon in the Royal Pavilion's Music Room. Stanley Kubrick's Oscar-winning film features SeraBande by Handel, works by the composer were often played by George IV's band in the Music Room. Tickets include a glass of Champagne on arrival, served in the banqueting room - certainly beats popcorn!

I won't give details of too many films as we could be here all night and anyway part of the fun is going through the brochure or website and seeing which ones leap out at you. Although I will just briefly mention Robot & Frank, as it's a septuagenarian and a robot in a comedy heist, what more do you need to know!

Cinecity runs from 15th November until 2nd December and make sure you get in quick as tickets do sell out quickly. And movie fans don't forget that the new cinema Duke's at Komedia will open it's doors in December - exciting times!

Charlotte

No comments: